Musings and Remarks about Voice Acting and Voice Actors, and Christopher J. O'Brien's Work in the Field

Saturday 28 March 2009

Training by Experience: Volunteering for Audiobooks

I'm getting myself some on-the-job training by reading for Librivox.com. It's a site where volunteers can read public domain texts and make their recordings public domain, too; ordinary doofliggies can also go there to pick up free audiobooks by amateurs and others. The other readers give lots of constructive criticism and proof-listen the text you've read. I'm reading "What was it?" by Fitz-James O'Brien and also planning to tackle a brute, but one that should make great listening: Lavengro by George Henry Borrow. It was a central text for my dissertation. It's gonna be a great experience and I hope you will listen as chapters come out. I'll give updates here. Feel free to offer any criticism that won't destroy my confidence.
Also there on the Web is audiobooksforfree.com, but so far I like the style of Librivox much better. Check them both out, I suggest. (Thanks to Greg Proops)
Chris
UPDATE: There used to be the option to record for Audiobooksforfree.com, but now they state they only use professional readers and directors, and there is no mention of recording for them on the site so far as I can see. However, they're worth a listen. Or, if you're a pro yourself, you could contact them...Chris

No comments: